Terms of Referencefor KFC Auditors training on Gender Mainstreaming
Title: Gender mainstreaming Consultant
Duration: 2 days
Start Date: 11th June 2018
End Date: 12th June 2018
Location: KFC Office, Nairobi
The Kenya Flower Council (KFC) is a voluntary association of independent growers and exporters of cut-flowers and ornamentals, established in 1996, with the aim of fostering responsible and safe production of cut flowers in Kenya with due consideration of workers welfare and protection of the environment. Against this background the Council has become the focal point for industry representation, promotion, and compliance to pertinent local and international standards deemed necessary to secure, expand and sustain markets.
MEMBERSHIP: Has over 115 farms /firms Members – involved in the production of flowers & ornamentals. Associate Members – organizations that supply various products and services to the industry and are currently 88. This category attracts both local and international organizations. Kenya Flower Council Membership includes small, medium and large flower growers spanning from 0.25 acres to 230 hectares, in line with our strategic plan to ensure an all-inclusive representation of the floriculture industry.
KFC liaises with governments, development agencies, media, trade bodies, unions, civil society, non-governmental organizations, partners, market organizations and other stakeholders on specific sector issues to create an enabling environment for the floriculture industry locally and abroad. With cooperation and support of associate members and other partners, the Council organizes and participates in industry promotion events in Belgium, UK, Holland, USA, Italy, Japan, Germany, Korea, Russia, and France. The Council also participates in international flower fairs and promotions across Europe including Germany, Holland, Russia, Japan, Korea, Kenya and USA. The Council has a solid engagement with the Government of Kenya through different Ministries including the Ministries of Foreign Affairs and International Trade.
KFC has not developed gender policy to govern its secretariat and membership. However, the Flowers and Ornamentals sustainability standardused for farms certifications has Gender related components including appointment of a Gender Committee to handle Gender related issues at the farms. Audit scope usually involves Interviews of workers, Inspection of farm facilities and Document review. The Standardcovers issues on Human Resource, Health and Safety, Protection and conservation of the natural Environment, Crop Production, Post-Harvest, Maintenance and Training. The Human Resource chapter incorporates some gender issues such as gender equality (3.1.9S), Gender committee meetings (3.4.1S), Discrimination and harassment (3.4.3S) and Sexual harassment (3.5.2S) which are some of the gender related requirements the producer is expected to comply with.
KFC plans to hire a consultant to train the auditors on gender mainstreaming and to ensure that gender indicators are well integrated into the KFC Standard for social sustainability and for the benefit of employees.
2.Objective of the Assignment:
The main objective of the assignment is to train KFC Auditors, farm internal auditors, Technical & Certification Committee Members on gender mainstreaming and to highlight all relevant gender indicators that could be integrated in the KFC Flowers and Ornamentals Sustainability Standard and the quality management system.
III. Scope of Work:
Under the overall guidance of the CEO, the consultant will,
- Create understanding on gender concepts and approaches
- Create understanding of the extent to which gender equality and indicators have been internalized and acted upon by the KFC management and the audit staff
- Conduct a rapid overview of Flowers and Ornamentals sustainability standard to identify the exiting gender gaps
- Expound on the importance of including gender indicators in the Flowers and Ornamentals sustainability standard
- Develop methodology/process including action plan to review the Flowers and Ornamentals sustainability standard;
- KFC Auditors, internal farm auditors, Technical & Certification Committee Members.
- Within the duration of the assignment, the consultant is expected to develop training materials on gender mainstreaming
- Specifically, under direct supervision and guidance of the CEO and in close collaboration with HERproject Manager and Audit staff, the Gender Expert will consult with KFC Principal / Lead Auditor on the outline/ content of the training.
- Give gender recommends for consideration in the review of the KFC Flowers and Ornamentals sustainability standard and the quality management system.
Submit the following:
- Work schedule and cost for the consultancy period;
- First draft of training content and initial design;
- The final training report in PDF and in editable form.
- Identified gender gaps in the KFC FOSS
- What are the recommended Gender indicators for the KFC FOSS
VII. Institutional Arrangements
The consultant will report to the KFC CEO and consult withHERproject Manager and the Principal / Lead Auditor during the training
VIII. Duty station:
The consultant will be required to be based in Nairobi at KFC office for the period of consultancy. The training will be done in-house
5.The Consultancy Timeframe
The consultant will be required to undertake the exercise within 2 calendar days after the signing of the contract. The training is scheduled to take place in the Month of June 2018
6.Required Skills and Experience
Education: Master’s Degree in Gender Studies, Social Studies, Human Rights and other related fields.
- Should preferably be a Kenyan national
- Have substantial Knowledge of or background on national/ international policies on gender, and development, development planning /strategies, formulation and analysis of national /international policies from gender perspectives.
- Possess solid understanding on gender and development process in national and international level and Knowledge on inter‐governmental forums on gender is desirable.
- Have a minimum five years of experience in developing content and design of knowledge products / information, education and communication.
- Possess experience preparing knowledge products for women, covering gender, development and human rights.
- Show records of participation in at least 3 assignments of similar size and degree of complexity (consultancy services in the area of gender mainstreaming in projects, programs or policies).
- Possess analytical skills with ability to write and review technical reports will be required
- The consultant MUST be registered with NITA and MUST issue certificate to the trainees after the training.
- Strong command of English both written and oral.
- Computer literacy and ability to effectively use office technology equipment, ability to use Internet and email.
- Strong computer skills
Deadline: All proposals must be electronically received via email by 30th April 2018 close of business day. Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org